Monday, August 24, 2009

Graveyard Shifts

It is on nights like this that I realized that working graveyards is a serious bummer. Most of the time it really isn't that bad (except for the part where I leave for work about 30 minutes after my husband gets home from his job). But then there are those nights that for no good reason at all my body says, "Well, I am often up at this hour, lets do it tonight." On those nights I lay in bed thinking, "Maybe if I don't open my eyes I will just go back to sleep." Soon it becomes painfully obvious that I am not going back to sleep and if I toss anymore I will not be the only one laying there awake. I then get up and try to come up with something semi-productive to do.
This can be challenging because of the quiet factor. I don't want to watch TV too loud (and I don't know if you have ever tried to find something worth watching at 3 am, the selection is meager at best), I don't want to bang dishes or run my loud dish washer, you can't vacuum, I don't want to start the washer or dryer (not to mention the hamper is in my bedroom with my lucky sleeping husband). Tonight that leaves the internet.
Sadly as I attempt to pass the hours before dawn (or better yet until I become tired again) I realize, I don't know how to aimlessly surf the net.
Oh well, perhaps the boredom will get me closer to returning to my bed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah!.. I agree to your point, This can be challenging because of the quiet factor.

--
Jhon
Wireless Home Alarm Security Systems

Cheryl and William said...

I had an insomniac moment last night and what I did- besides surf the web- is what shows on it. Hulu.com has the widest selection of tv shows and movies and also youtube has some great show too for when the insomnia hits you :-)